Book an Appointment

New Students:

If you are new to the service, please email to book a remote appointment with the Learning Development Team. Use your UWO email address when requesting the appointment and include your contact number and availability for Mondays to Fridays 9am-4pm. You must read and complete two forms prior to confirming your appointment with a learning counsellor. 

The forms are as follows: 

1. Procedures and Guidelines Form

2. Consent Form

These forms can be opened and saved on your computer and attached in an email to

Once these forms are completed and submitted alongside your availability, you will receive an appointment confirmation (time and date) for your appointment. Please note that counsellors will be contacting students by phone and when calling, your phone may read "No Caller ID."  

Returning Students:

If you are a returning student and wish to reconnect with your counsellor, please email to request a follow-up appointment and include your availability for Mondays to Fridays, 9am-4pm. Also, returning students may wish to contact their counsellor directly to arrange an appointment if they have previously contacted their counsellor through email. Returning students must complete a new consent form related to remote counselling (see below).

1. Consent Form

This form can be opened and saved on your computer and attached in an email to

More about Individual Counselling appointments: 

Confidential, remote individual appointments with a counsellor are available to help students achieve academic success. This service is available to all students at Western University. 

Learning Development counselling is for all students. Individual counselling can benefit both successful students who want to improve performance further or increase efficiency by learning new study strategies, as well as students who are experiencing academic difficulties. For students experiencing academic difficulties, it is strongly advised that they arrange a counselling appointment as soon as possible. See Disappointing Grade? for additional information.

Students can use Learning Development support at any point in their studies, from the first year to graduate school. Students may self refer to the service or be referred by a professor or staff member. All counselling is confidential; information is not released unless requested by the student and signed consent is on file. 

Referrals from Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff are encouraged to refer students to Learning Development for counselling. When there is an immediate problem of some urgency, faculty and staff are advised to contact the service by emailing For more information about Learning Development and recommendations for the handling of common student issues, visit our FAQ page.